EOS 4.0 Review {Galaxy Nexus}

Posted On //

EOS Review

When I  purchased my shiny new Galaxy Nexus, the first thing I did, obviously was unlock, get root, and search for the best ROM/Kernel combo. After many a flash session I stumbled across Team EOS ROM over on XDA. It already featured the kernel that i’d come to love, LeanKernel by Imoseyon, and they boasted of the EOS control center so I took it for a spin. After three weeks on the ROM, I like it so much that I think I’ll stick with it, and I’m an admitted flashaholic. With a constant flow of stable nightlies, I still get my fix every few days.

The breakdown

Features

Control

EOS Control Center

The EOS control center is much like AOKP’s ROM control. It’s built into the system settings and from there you can customize the interface, performance, and device settings.. It has everything you’d expect in this area. However, I would love to see more customization options, especially in the navbar and quick settings.

NX Gesture Bar

This feature is really cool, if you’re into swipe gestures. What it does is disables the softkeys in the navbar, and enables swipe control. Swipe left for “back”, up for “home” and right for “recents”. It’s extremely responsive as well.


Battery Life

Without so much as changing the governor, I was able to squeeze out at least eighteen hours of use with a screen on time of roughly three hours. That’s impressive, at least for my Galaxy Nexus. With some simple modifications to the kernel through EOS Coontrol Center and some changes made in ROM Toolbox, I’m currently at 47% and twelve hours. Some simple math tells me that I’ll be getting close to a full day on one charge, so I was able to gain a few hours of juice. Nice.

EOS Battery

Development

The EOS ROM is available on multiple devices, and the team is obviously working hard to deliver those nightlies I spoke of earlier. Support is good, but their website needs an update. According to the devices page, EOS is available for the Moto Xoom, Asus Transformer tablets and the Galaxy Nexus, however I’m sure I saw a video for EOS running on the Nexus 4. So far the only bug I’ve noticed is when the kill all button is enabled in the recents window, killing all apps creates a noticeable lag, nothing major. Of course I haven’t flashed the ROM on any of the other devices, you’ll have to check out those threads for bugs.
Details
EOS 4 is based off AOSP and uses some Cyanogenmod branches so it can run on some legacy devices.

Daily Driver?

Most definitely. There are plenty of custom ROMs available for flashing. What I dig about this one is that it’s lightweight, comes bundled with a great kernel, has a steady flow of nightlies and an awesome team of dev’s backing it up.

Check out team EOS and download builds via the links below.