Ubuntu G Tutorial

Posted On // 33 comments

In this tutorial we'll be setting up the Ubuntu g theme. This tutorial assumes your device has a resolution of 480x800.

Firs off, download the source files here
Having trouble getting the files? Try this link. (mirror 1)
Just in case  (mirror 2)

Next, you're going to need a few different apps,

1. Apex Launcher
2. Tasker
3. Minimalistic Text
4. UCCW
5. WidgetLocker
6. Multipicture Live Wallpaper
7. Also install "Ubuntu g Uccw.apk" found in the source files. (under system settings go to security then check unknown sources)

OK, now that you have those installed, select apex launcher as your default launcher. Then open up widget locker because that's where we're going to start.
one of the many possibilities.
Under settings in widget locker, set the grid to 10x10 and pull the "anchor" all the way down.
Then select "use alternative wallpaper" and choose ubuntuLock from your sd card. Do not crop it.

From there add a 4x4 UCCW widget and select any one of the ubuntuBattGauge skins. Resize it to fit. (If you can't resize check the advanced settings in widgetlocker.)

Next add a 5x2 Uccw widget and select ubuntuLockClock. Place it near the top of the screen.

Now for the Tap to unlock. Select the default widgetlocker slider. In the edit screen slide the left slider over and select disable. Now do the same for the right slider. Next tap the middle and select "widgetlocker options", unlock. Finally, switch tabs to change the icon to the lock.png image. Remember to tap "done" in the top left otherwise you'll have to do it over again.
Now, if you want to have system output widgets on top of the battery widget, those are the minimalistic text preference files. Move those to the minimalistic text preferences folder on your sdcard. Then add a 3x1 MT widget and scroll down to the bottom of the configuration page and select restore. Pick which one you'd like. Then resize it by stretching it up and over top of the center UCCW widget. From there you can set shortcuts for those widgets back in the MT config menu.


Onto the first homescreen.

Apex settings are as follows:

HOMESCREEN
 Portrait grid: 9x6
No margins
Transition effect: none
Hide notification bar, app labels and shadows.

BEHAVIOR SETTINGS
Swipe up: app drawer
Swipe Down: notifications

ADVANCED SETTINGS
Check overlapping widgets.

DOCK SETTINGS
Hide dock. :)

For the wallpaper choose Multipic Live Wallpaper and click add individual settings.
For screen one setthe picture source to a single picture then select ubuntuHomeScreen1.
Add settings for screens 2 and 3 as well.

For the dockbar, you can add your shortcuts however you see fit. By uccw hotspots, desktop visualizer and a transparent icon, edit the apps icon to be transparent. Really, it's up to you. :) I still use desktop visualizer.


Screen 2

Add a UCCW 5x2 widget to the screen selecting the ubuntuHomeClock.
Resize it to fit.

(Note: the message widget is a combo of the tasker profile provided and minimalistic text. Tasker is not free. I will not send it to you. If you have purchased it, add the smsRecieved.xml file to the profiles folder. Open tasker and run the profile. Add the text by using the locale variable in minimalistic text. I'll make aseperate tutorial for that if there's enough demand.)

Long press over the all apps button and add two apex action "app drawers" side by side. Then edit the icons to be transparent, by long pressing the icon, then tap the icon in the next dialog box. And navigate to the blank.png and select it. Repeat for the other one.


After adding your shortcuts, overlap them to app drawer, long press, and tap, "send to back" so that the app drawer shortcuts are always on top in that particular area.

The bottom of the screen can be used as a battery bar by adding the ubuntuBottomBattery skin, strectch to the bottom, send to back.


On to the 3rd screen

Set it up the same way as the other screens. Using your preffered shortcut method. Just make sure to make all icons transparent.

Also, down at the bottom I replaced the battery bar with the running apps shortcut. This is another one of Apex launchers actions.

Add as many as you want to the bottom and edit them with the blank icon.

Thanks for reading. Expect updates soon, i'm currently working on an "events" screen and a "news and weather" page. Stay tuned for more! 

Update, my service was shut off so my ideas for this theme will have to wait until I can afford phone service again. This project has not been abandoned!






Videos!


33 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dave said...

I love this setup and I'm trying to get it to work for me.

How do you get the weather icon and degrees? Is it uccw? I don't see it in the .zip

Also, how do you get the tasker thing to work? I bought the app, imported the profile, but don't know how to add it to my homescreen.

Thank you for all your hard work! It's paid off magnificently

dave said...

nevermind, I got it all working. for some reason, the UCCW homeclock showed up in my UCCW as two files, one as just the clock and the other with the weather. the recent messages, well I didn't have any lol. thank you so much again for everything!

dave said...

can't wait for the new pages you're working on

Unknown said...

Do you mind giving a step by step for the Tasker recent messages? I can't get it to work even if I have recent messages.

Unknown said...

Yeah, i'll make a video. Give me like an hour to get it done and uploaded.

Unknown said...

Tasker video is up!

Gilberto said...

I've get this at Box.com:
The user hosting this content is out of bandwidth.

Anonymous said...

btw there is 2 different unity launchers on play store. one named unity launcher and the other one is ubuntu phone exprience

Unknown said...

Yeah, first link is down for the month. Try the mirrors

j l gatewood said...

I'm hoping this will work for me with my padfone... interesting to see what happens when I shift into tablet mode with this setup!

Unknown said...

Does this have to be Apex Launcher? I'm still on Gingerbread, so Apex is a no-no. How about Holo?

Unknown said...

As long as you can resize and overlap widgets, you should be good to go!

Diego Coyoy said...

It is recomendable to install all this on an specific android version?

I am already downloading the apps, but I ask so I don't break it, if you know what I mean. :/

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info.

Unknown said...

Gingerbread and up for the uccw skins.

Nihil Enochian said...

Is this anyhow possible to do on sony xperia tipo which have resolution of 320x480 and 3,2" display??
Thanks in advance and sorry for my English

Unknown said...

Yes, if you have Photoshop you can edit the psd to match your device resolution.

Nihil Enochian said...

I have Gimp and I think that I'll do that with it.I'll try and see what can I do with this.Thanks for reply..

dave said...

@alex

Sometimes the weather icons aren't showing up for the ubuntuHomeClock. I'm guessing they aren't all named appropriately or there's some icons missing.

Would you please update the .uzip for the Ubuntuhomeclock with all the weather icons? I would really appreciate it. I'd do it myself but I can't seem to find the folder where the weather icons are stored in the UCCW folder.

Here's a list of weather icon names for UCCW:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1880050

Thank you!

laz said...

plz tell me how to download !

Rattones said...

please, do a patch for it ... and I buy ...

Robin said...

Thanks for the files and trick to apply ubuntu theme on android phone :) You rock.

Robin.

Unknown said...

I added some mirror links to the first paragraph. :)

Unknown said...

If you mean the donation apk. Send me an email and I'll send you the apk to sideload. Or if you are a Titanium Backup user, you can find the app and back it up, then immediately restore it. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you sir!

Luiz Marins said...

It looks AWSOME!

But please, make a tuto for 720x1280 :((

Unknown said...

So on your BattGauge UCCW widget, the SMS says "recieved" instead of "received" and for some reason I cannot edit it in UCCW. It's driving me insane as a grammar nazi.

Unknown said...

Also for some reason I can't set up MinimalisticText with Tasker. I've followed your video tutorial in case I did something wrong. Still nothing. Sent myself a text after setup and sgain nothing is displayed. I'm using a newer version of MinimalisticText than what you have in the video, but that certainly can't be the problem. I've rebooted 4 times and repeated my steps. Any idea why it doesn't want to work? My Tasker says "No active profiles" but I took it that was because the profile is inactive as it is event-based, but would become "active" when I got a text.

Unknown said...

I have absolutely no idea on how to do it but I really like the look on the pictures so I want to give it a try following the instructions. I have two doubts before I even start. I have a Nexus 4 so the resolution is 1280x768 and the other thing is that it does not have an SD card per se. You mentioned both the resolution and the SD card at the beginning. Are these conditions a problem? I saw someone asked you about the resolution but I don't know if the situation is the same having higher resolution. You mentioned that with photoshop it's not a problem. I have photoshop express, is that good enough? Thank you

Unknown said...

The wallpaper can be resized to fit your device. And by sdcard, I just mean the storage on your device, so having no sdcard isn't a problem. :)

Magnum said...

When I add the UbuntulockClock widget to the lock screen it only shows the clock but not the background ring with the dots just a digital plain text clock. I have moved all the files to my internal storage as an unzipped folder.

Unknown said...

Try the skin called Ubuntu Battery Gauge. ;)